An important safety update from Will Shu, Co-Founder & CEO
An update from Will about important safety measures we're taking to keep riders safe on the road. Sent to all riders on 18th July 2017.
I wanted to get in touch to tell you what steps we are taking here at Deliveroo to improve safety for you, our riders. I was horrified by the awful attacks in London last week. I know the team reached out to those of you working at the time, and I am now working with them to put in place new measures to help prevent, detect and report crimes against Deliveroo riders.
Let me be clear – an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us at Deliveroo. As this company grows, so too should the protections that we offer our riders. So what I am now working to achieve with the team at head office is a way to ensure that if you feel threatened or unsafe, we can step in to help you. If riders are targeted by criminals, we should respond using the strength of the Deliveroo community to help bring those perpetrators to justice.
We will do everything we can to protect you from having your property stolen or from being attacked. Your safety is our priority, so please follow these five steps if you feel unsafe or are targeted by criminals:
1. If you are worried about your safety on an order speak to us. If you ever have concerns about completing an order due to safety considerations, please move to a safe location out of any immediate danger and contact rider support on +44 203 699 9977 to be unassigned. This will not affect how you work with us in the future.
2. If you have concerns about an area do not work there. If you do not feel safe delivering to a certain area you do not need to deliver there. Your safety is our priority, so if you feel unsafe contact the team on [email protected] to discuss other areas available to work in.
3. Report your concerns to the police. We sent you the latest guidance from the police last week – remember to call 999 if your bike is stolen, if you are threatened/attacked or you witness a crime. Call 101 if the crime has taken place but no suspects are present. You can also report online at www.met.police.uk.
4. Tell us your concerns and help us take action. Today we’ve set up a new contact line [email protected] for you to report any concerns and help us to better identify the areas where you do not feel safe. We want to gather data on crime trends so that we can share it with the police to ask them to take action.
5. Come to our rider safety surgeries. We are launching new weekly rider safety surgeries for you to come and talk to us about your concerns, to discuss ways to stay safe on the road and for you to tell us any information that you’d like us to pass onto the police on your behalf. Join the team next Wednesday 26th and Thursday 27th from 3pm-5pm at Ground Floor, Capstan House, 1 Clove Crescent, E14 2BH so that we can work together to beat the criminals. We’ll be hosting these surgeries in various locations around London in the coming weeks.
We have been working with the police and we are sitting down again with them soon to discuss what further steps can be taken to help you. We are also working to put more measures in place to improve safety and to help keep you safe. I will be in touch as soon as I have more details.
Co-Founder & CEO