Your free rider insurance
Your safety and security are incredibly important to us. This is why we’re spending almost £10 million to protect every rider globally, so you don’t have to pay a penny.
We’ve developed market leading insurance cover, which means that whenever you’re out on the road with us, you’re protected in the event of an accident. Plus if an injury means you are unable to work, your earnings are protected while you recover.
It’s totally free and covers you from the moment you go online.
Rider accident insurance
Covers all riders when working.
Your accident insurance gives you supporting income in case you can’t work following an accident while working with Deliveroo. You can claim an ongoing payment if you are injured and unable to work, and a lump sum payment for many injury types. You also have access to legal expenses cover, and a counselling and advice service.
Rider public liability
Covers cyclists and walkers when working. It also covers scooter and car riders when they’re ‘off-vehicle’, for example, when walking to pick up and deliver orders.
You and your substitutes get £1,000,000 of cover in case you cause injury to someone whilst at work. It also gives you protection in case you damage someone else’s property whilst working, such as other vehicles or buildings. Legal costs are included in the cover.
Here are a few important things to remember:
- Rider public liability insurance does not replace your own motor insurance. If you use a scooter, motorbike or car to do deliveries, you still need to purchase your own:
- Motor insurance to cover you for social, domestic and pleasure purposes.
- Hire and reward cover for using your vehicle for business purposes.
- This doesn’t cover any damage caused to your own vehicle.
- If you damage someone else’s property you may need to pay up to £150 towards the cost.
For more information about accident insurance
For more information about public liability
Need to report a claim? Start by reporting the incident
Have a question about a claim?
Frequently asked questions
1) You: As a Deliveroo rider, you’ll be protected by our insurance cover.
2) Your substitute: If you have someone else working for you as a substitute, they will be covered too.
As a Deliveroo rider you are covered by our insurance whenever and wherever you’re out on the road with us in the UK. This includes the whole time you’re online, as well as up to one hour after you go offline.
If you’ve been injured, or someone else has been injured or their property has been damaged, while you were riding with Deliveroo, here’s what you should do:
1) Safety always comes first. In the event of an emergency, the first thing you should do is call the emergency services on 999 to make sure you get any assistance and medical treatment you need. A doctor must be consulted as soon as possible after an accident.
2) If someone else is involved, you should stop and give your details to them – including your full name, your rider ID, your address, and if relevant, your vehicle registration number. You should also get their details. If you don’t exchange details at the time of the accident, please report it to the police within 24 hours.
3) As soon as possible following the accident please report it. Even if you’re unsure if you or someone else was at fault, we recommend reporting it.
- If it’s an accident claim, report it to Bikmo using the claim form here.
- If it’s a third party liability claim, report it to Qover using the claim form here.
Both the Rider Public Liability and Rider accident insurance covers substitutes providing that they are working in accordance with the terms of your rider supplier agreement.
If your substitute is involved in an incident they can make a claim in the same way (see ‘Need to report a claim?’ above)
1) As soon as possible after the accident has happened, please report it.
2)The claims team will contact you directly to get everything they need to investigate and process the claim. They will take care of everything for you when it comes to your claim – including answering your questions.
3) If your accident claim is approved, any payment to you will be made directly to your bank account, and you will be notified by Bikmo to confirm payment and the amount. If a payment is made to a third party, Qover and the claims handler will do this on your behalf.
Each claim is different, but the insurers will handle all claims as quickly as possible and keep you informed, every step of the way. Payments are made electronically and are processed immediately once agreement has been reached.
You’ll need to provide some evidence to support your claim – either when you first make the claim, or any time during the claim process. The insurers will probably ask you:
• Can you explain what happened?
• When did the accident take place?
• Where did it happen?
• Did the accident cause any damage to someone else’s vehicle or property?
• Do you have any photos of any damage?
• Can you provide contact details for anyone else who was involved in this accident?
• Did anyone witness the accident? If so, can you provide their contact details?
• If a car or scooter was involved, can you give a copy of the European Claim Statement?
• If you have a statement from the police, can you share this?
It’s important that you make sure we have the right information about you, including your full name, email address and vehicle type.
This means you can be protected by our insurance cover. Please update your details in the app or get in touch with us to update your details if they ever change.
Lots of riders work with Deliveroo and other companies in the same hour. You’re completely free to do that and you will still be covered by free accident insurance when you work with us.
However it’s worth knowing that if an accident happens while you’re offline, or you haven’t been online in the Deliveroo app in the past hour, you won’t be covered for any claims.
The excess is the amount that you are responsible for and which will be deducted, or payable by you, in the event of a claim.
The excess applicable to the cyclist Third Party Liability insurance is:
- £150 for each and every claim arising from accidental damage to third party property and,
- No excess for bodily injury
Your own vehicle and other items of kit will not be covered. If your kit has been damaged and you want to replace it, please get in touch with us.