Delivering age-restricted products
Make yourself familiar with the information below to make sure you can:
- Avoid selling age-restricted products to customers who are under 18
- Avoid selling alcohol to customers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Understand the consequences of selling age-restricted products to anyone under 18
- Confidently ask for ID
- Recognise the accepted forms of ID
It’s Deliveroo’s policy that you must check the customer’s ID for all orders containing age-restricted items, even if the customer looks older than the legal age for buying those items.
It’s against the law to sell age-restricted products to anyone under the age of 18. It’s important to remember to check a customers age when delivering orders that contain age-restricted products as it is your responsibility to make sure that you don’t deliver age-restricted products to someone under 18.
When you pick up an order from the restaurant, check the receipt to make yourself aware if alcohol included and take steps to ensure that the customer you deliver to is over 18.
When you deliver an order containing alcohol, it’s important that you don’t hand over any alcohol to a customer who already appears to be drunk or under the influence of drugs.
You must not:
- Deliver the age-restricted products to the customer if you are suspicious that the ID produced is not genuine or if an ID could not be produced. When this happens call Rider Support and inform them – do not complete the order.
- Deliver alcohol to the customer if you believe they’re already drunk or under the influence of drugs
- Leave the age-restricted products anywhere except the delivery address, unless the customer does not provide proof that they are over 18 on request (in which case the alcohol should be disposed of responsibly)
- Hesitate to ask for ID
- European Union photocard driving licence
- Photographic identity card bearing the national Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) hologram
- National identity card issued by a European Union member state (other than the United Kingdom), Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland
- Confirm the photograph on the card looks like the person offering the card.
- Check the expiry date of the document to ensure it is still valid
- Enter the customer’s date of birth and tap Confirm age – the app will tell you whether the customer is over 18.
- If the customer is over 18 you can give them the order and mark it as delivered.
- If the customer is under 18 or the customer doesn’t have ID, you can remove the age-restricted items (e.g. alcohol) but leave the rest of the order. For the age-restricted products, please dispose of these responsibly. You don’t need to return them to the restaurant and you will still be paid the full delivery fee.
If you can’t deliver part of the order because the customer doesn’t have ID, is too young, or is under the influence of drugs or alcohol we’ll contact them directly.