The situation around COVID-19 is developing all the time. We’re working hard to understand the government’s latest advice and will keep this FAQ section as up to date as we can.
The Prime Minister announced on Monday 23 Mar that restaurants, bars and cafes can stay open for delivery. While waiting to collect an order as well in between orders, please respect social distancing recommendations and stand at least 2 metres away from other people, including restaurant staff and riders.
The Government have made it easier to access the benefits system during the COVID-19 outbreak. You may be eligible for:
- ‘New Style’ Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit (UC)
You can find out more about Government benefits here
You can also apply for the Deliveroo Rider Support Fund by emailing Rider Support. The Rider Support fund is for riders who ride with us full-time and who have been diagnosed or asked to self-isolate by a medical professional.
The Government has also said it will defer self-assessment tax payments. This means that any tax you owe does not need to be paid until January 2021.
If you have a mortgage the government has announced that if you’ve been affected by COVID-19 you could be entitled to a three month mortgage holiday. Check your bank’s website for the latest info about this.
If you’re a renter the government has said it will bring forward emergency legislation to protect private renters from eviction. The exact details of this haven’t been revealed yet so you should continue to check the Government’s website.
If you want to ride with Deliveroo during school hours, the government has advised that you can contact your children’s school about your child or children attending as normal.
If your child’s school is closed you should contact your local authority who’ll be able to advise you. You can find your Local Authority by entering your postcode here.
Every time a customer places a new order, ‘Contact-free delivery’ will now be automatically selected. We have sent an email to our customers to tell them that all orders will be delivered this way from now on.
Follow these steps when making a contact-free delivery:
- Let the customer know you’ve arrived
- Leave the order outside the customer’s door
- Step back at least 2 metres and wait nearby for the customer to collect it
- Tap ‘Complete delivery’ only when you’ve seen the customer collect it
Helping protect the safety of our riders, restaurant partners and customers is extremely important during this time. With this in mind, please make sure to follow this process with every delivery.
We have asked all of our restaurant partners to use contact-free pick up for Deliveroo riders.
To enable contact-free pick up, many restaurants will:
- Continue to properly seal all packaging and bags using tape or stickers
- Create a waiting area for riders inside the restaurant where they can wait a safe distance away from each other
- Create a waiting area for other riders outside the restaurant – riders should stay a safe distance away from other riders and staff while waiting outside even if there is no dedicated waiting area
- Create pick up areas, as far from food preparation as possible, that means no direct contact between riders and restaurant staff will be required to pick up an order
- Have someone from their team manage pick ups during busy times
- Make sure that only 1 order at a time is collected from a pick up area
- Make soap and water or hand sanitising gel available to riders whenever possible
Your safety is our priority and we want to make sure that riders who work regularly with Deliveroo and have contracted the virus or been placed in quarantine by a medical authority will be eligible for financial support for a period of up to 14 days.
Deliveroo has established a support fund to make sure that riders impacted by the virus are supported during this difficult time.
The fund is designed to support riders in these unique and difficult circumstances. The policy will remain under review as this unprecedented situation develops.
Deliveroo has already issued and will continue to share guidance on how you can protect yourself and others. We remain in contact with relevant authorities on a daily basis and will continue to update you with all the latest advice as we receive it.
If you have contracted COVID-19, or have been placed in quarantine by a medical authority, please contact rider support for further information about how to apply for financial support from the fund.
If you’d like to change the type of vehicle you make deliveries with you can contact rider support. If you’re changing to a motorised vehicle you’ll need to provide proof of insurance.
If you start to feel ill or test positive for COVID-19, follow all medical advice, do not log in and let us know immediately via Rider Support.
We realise you’ve been doing all you can to stay healthy and protect your own safety as well as the safety of our restaurant partners and customers as the COVID-19 outbreak continues.
Our team is working hard to get hold of hygiene products like hand sanitisers to help you whenever you choose to ride.
Until we can get some for you, we will fund the purchase of these items for people who ride with us regularly up to the value of £20.
To claim, complete this form about your purchase.
The form will ask you to upload a photo of your receipt. The receipt must:
- Be an itemised tax receipt, showing the purchase was for hand sanitiser, masks, disposable gloves, disinfecting wipes or spray – screenshots of bank transactions and non-itemised receipts will not be accepted as proof of purchase
- Be dated within 7 days of your claim submission
- Have your name and Rider ID clearly written on it
You must have an active rider account and have completed at least 1 delivery with Deliveroo in the 14 days prior to submitting a claim in order to be eligible for payment. You can submit 1 claim of up to £20, and you can submit more than 1 receipt as part of your claim but all receipts must be submitted at the same time in a single claim.
Your payment will appear as a payment adjustment on your next invoice that will be sent on your next fee day.